A fulfilling aspect of working on this website has been all of the insightful feedback I have received from readers. The feedback has challenged me to dig deeper, to learn more, and to seek out a greater breadth of information as well. Along with that feedback, has come quite a bit of praise that I thought the first time visitor might be interested in hearing. If you like what you read, you can click on this link to sign up for our weekly email newsletter to receive the latest information from 52 Weeks in Slovakia or you can just sign up using the sign up form to the right. If you have a comment you would like to add to the list below, please just send me an email at 52WeeksInSlovakia@gmail.com.
Here are a few general comments about 52 Weeks in Slovakia:
- “I have throughly enjoyed the past 10 weeks:) I’m so glad I stumbled upon your site.” – Rebecca B.
- “Great reading, Allan. As someone who grew up in Slovakia and then returned to live there for a year with American spouse and a 2-year old son, I can appreciate your writing twofold.” – Peter
- “Love your articles…Keep up the good work!” – Elaine B.
- ” I am really enjoying your insight!” – Teresa W.
- “Allan, love your blog, keep on writing.” – Peter
- “Hey! First of all I´d like to say that I really appreciate your work, Allan, it´s really intriguing for the ones born in Slovakia to read as well.” – Miska
- “I am so enjoying reading these columns. I just found out about this so it is a treat to read them all.” – Teresa W.
- “I just found your site. I lived in Bratislava from 2007-2009. I miss it and reading your articles brings back my life there. Thank you.” – Ann
Below are a few positive comments about specific articles on 52 Weeks in Slovakia:
Articles on Food
Raising a Pig and Making Fresh Pork Sausages at Home
- “You have it! Really good footage and article.” – Miloje Ch. on 68 Steps to Killing a Pig
- “Allan – this is amazing. I’ve eaten many of these delicacies.” – Phil S. on 68 Steps to Killing a Pig
- “What a wonderful job you did , the story and pictures are great.” – Donna B. on 68 Steps to Killing a Pig
- “This is awesome, Allan! Thank you for documenting this tradition.” – Lubos on 68 Steps to Killing a Pig
Bratislava’s Christmas Market
- “Allan, impresive article. I have sent a link to my friends in US and France, who enjoyed the market this winter. Pictures are very nice as well.” – Milos M. on the Christmas Market
- “Totally inspired my wife and I to have cigánska tonight. Such a delicious memory.” Sean on the Christmas Market
- “Bájecný článek, Allan !! Your descriptions have made me hungry !!” – Cynthia on the Christmas Market
- “Dakujme pekne for doing this. It is a tremendous service to those of us with a Slovak heritage and who have been to Bratislava and yearn to be there for Christmas!!!!!” – John on the Christmas Market
- “Lovely, the sights and fragrance of the Christmas Market in Bratislava filled my memory when reading this article. I took photos galore during my 3 years in Bratislava. Thanks for the photos and recipes.” – Gail on the Christmas Market
Politics and History
Slovakia has some touchy and controversial history, and I feel like I’ve been rewarded by readers for taking a great deal of time to research and write about articles on history and politics in the region, even if that means sticking my neck out a bit.
- “Very good essay summarizing significant accomplishments of Soviet astronautics.” – Michal Z. on Yuri Gagarin and the Space Race
- “Congratulations on this excellent piece and thank you for providing so many excellent references.” – Jan on the First Slovak State
- “Very interesting article about things I have wondered about myself after living 3 years in Poland (Warsaw) and now 2 in Bratislava.” – Birgette on Work Ethic – An Inheritance from Communism
- “Some very insightful thoughts, Mr. Stevo.” – Mark D. on Work Ethic – An Inheritance from Communism
And because Slovakia has some fascinating traditions hiding below the surface, I have taken time to feel out some of those interesting traditions and to try to understand them on a deeper level than would be possible in only one or two years visiting here.
All Saints Day
- “Allan, I am so pleased you wrote this article.” – Ludmila on All Saints Day
- “I enjoyed this article.” – Anne H. on All Saints Day
- “Your report was very significant for me.” – Eileen B. on All Saints Day
- “Your great article, Allan, brought back one of the best memories of my stuzkova 45 years ago.” – Anna on a Slovak Student Celebration called “Stuzkova”
- “I love this story!” – Susan G. on a Slovak Student Celebration called “Vencek”
- “Enjoyed the article, Allan.” – Dennis on The Harvest is In, an Article about the Grape Harvest
- “Thanks, Allan, for the wonderful reminder and great descriptions of good vinobranie times.” – Larry P. on The Harvest is In, an Article about the Grape Harvest
- “A good read.” – Ludovit on The Harvest is In, an Article about the Grape Harvest
- “Enjoyed reading your article. Sent it out to about 1500 on my Newsletter.” – Dan. K on The Harvest is In, an Article about the Grape Harvest
- “Keep up the good work Allen and keep reminding us of the delights of Slovakia.” – Phil S. on The Harvest is In, an Article about the Grape Harvest
The Best Feedback
The positive feedback has been nice to read, but the best feedback has been when others have taught me more on the topic through the comments sections. This has come through experiences, through opinions, through observations. The more comments that come my way, the more variety and depth I have on the topic.
I welcome you to read through these pages freely and to comment where you think you have a story to tell or a detail to add. Those who read this site, edit this site, and write on this site will all benefit from your insightful comments.
I’d like to welcome you to this website and to the community that has formed around it.